Thursday, April 27, 2023

"Here is the China Exit Entry Administration"

For many months, I have received a SPAM phone message that is both in English and Chinese. This seems puzzling to me: why am I getting them, and in Chinese?

Here is the message I receive (I've gotten this five times in the past week):

Here is the China Exit Entry Administration. You have a new message. 你好!中国出入境管理局,你有一个新信息,请按九获取详细内容 

The Chinese says, "Hello! China Entry Exit Administration, you have a new message, please press nine for details." You can listen to my recording of the message here.

In the past, the message came as a call, but I've installed Google Call Screening so I never answer calls from numbers that I don't already know. But recently, the "calls" are coming straight into my phone as voicemail, without the phone ringing. 

This is a very strange message. First of all, who is it aimed at? As one online commenter noted, many "foreigners" (i.e. Americans) in the US are getting this message, and though it begins in English, it only has instructions in Chinese. The message seems to be bait for a scam of Chinese speakers. Spamming all of America to find a few gullible Chinese does not seem very efficient.

Since it is aimed at Chinese, why does the message start in English? It's almost as if the scammers feel that it's a high-class scam because it is bilingual. But I don't think the PRC government authorities send messages to their citizens in English and Chinese. 

And it's bad English at that! "Here is the..." is Chinese English. It should be, "This is the ...." 

At first I thought the "Exit Entry Administration" was fake, because the name sounds so funny in English. Apparently, it's a thing, or at least it was until 2018, when it was renamed the Immigration Department.

I've been curious as to why I'm getting these messages again, after many months of silence. Plus, the calls go straight to voicemail; my phone does not ring. Also puzzling is the fact that these calls are coming from different phone numbers from all over the US. And twice, recently, I got the messages two times within 10 minutes, same exact recording, but from phone numbers from different parts of the country.

I think this is an example of the cat and mouse game between spammers and phone companies. I recently heard on a podcast about AI that spammers also use AI and have gotten better at evading Google and Yahoo's spam identification. 

But my Google Call Screening is still doing it's job, because my phone does not ring. The spam call is going to voicemail, so I get the start of the recording, but I'm not getting interrupted, nor do I have a chance to push "9".

Next step is for Google to recognize the calls as spam and send them straight to the spam folder, which it is able to do for some calls. I'm going to start calling my spam folder the "Exit Entry Administration."

2 comments:

Calvin X said...

I googled it and turns out that these spam messages are quite common. Chinese authorities have posted articles for public awareness raising:
https://newyork.lxgz.org.cn/newyork/xwdt/2022051302530316807/index.html
http://losangeles.china-consulate.gov.cn/lbyj/201802/t20180208_5052529.htm

Spams are not new to me. We get a lot of these. And there are stickers and posters everywhere (on elevators and walls of subway stations) telling people to stay alert. I'm more curious about whether this is only a Chinese thing, and if yes, why?

JB said...

The examples on the websites similar but not exactly like the one I'm getting. And these days, I'm getting it 2 or 3 times every day! That makes no sense; assuming there is some cost to sending these texts, why keep sending it so many times if I don't fall for it?

What seems specifically Chinese is the form of the scam, using these recorded calls. Recently, they are all coming from +86 phone numbers, i.e. directly from China. The scams in the US more typically involve humans calling, at least from what I gather from AARP publications and online (see e.g. https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2023/top-scammer-tactics-2023.html though this may require membership)